Friday, May 25, 2012

Riding Day 3: Myers Flat to Leggett

We just stopped for lunch in a hippy-laden town named Gerberville. Lunch was served at the House of Burgess - burgers and clubs for everyone! We visited a few hemp shops in search of bracelets and trinkets, with much success.

Here are a few of my observations from this morning's ride:
- Humboldt County gets a good drizzle rain every morning. Hence why there are so many marijuana growers here.
- Speaking of growers: we finally figured out why everyone is looking slightly tired but always banging espressos....
- There are LOTS of twenty-something folks wearing their baggy hoodies and cargo pants, also grumpy-looking...but we figure they are very well off thanks often lots of "mattress money"
- My beard (LP) is growing at an alarming pace... It's been close to a week since my last shave and I can see some thick stubble!
- We don't care much for people with pass' named after them...they often have difficult, extenuating climbs associated with them...
- Memorial Day weekend has begun and the amount of traffic on the highway has increased. The good news is people seem to respect the fact that May is Cyclist Month by giving us plenty of room when passing us.
- Jason hit a two-hill streak without walking...he is growing into quite the climber.
- LP still doesn't care for scraggly hippies...
- Jason loves his downhills...he even wishes there was a place where it was only downhill...I told him I'd start looking just after I finished inventing my perpetual motion machine made of Unobtanium :-)
- Jason is a total wild card : while Jo & I are wearing three to four layers each, he's wearing a cutoff jersey and track pants (??)

Tonight we stay at the STONEGATE VILLAS in Legget, CA. By this time tomorrow we'll be back on the coast, out of the redwoods, and making strong headway to San Francisco.

-LP

PS: I'm self-training during the climbs to get ready for Mt. Tamalpais just outside of San Fran. It will be a 2500 ft climb, straight up. My goal is to climb it in one shot, without stopping. It'll be a challenge, but also PURE awesome because that's where mountain biking was invented!

No comments:

Post a Comment